Through a wondrous set of apparently everyday synchronicities, I find myself studying the Batchelor of Dementia Care at Tas Uni - a new degree in cutting edge neuroscience and care - what a powerful combination!
I have never worked in the aged/dementia care field, and I had no knowledge of dementia or experience of aged/dementia care before starting this course; I have, as yet, no clear idea of how I am going to use the knowledge …
..but here I am, learning, so many things, on so many levels .....!
Studying Dementia Care at university has introduced me to literally hundreds of heart-centred, caring compassionate people, and this has been unlooked for and thus so gratefully appreciated privilege.
Already I know that I want to be involved in the research to find the prevention intervention … and … in the unique care of people as they approach their deaths … and … to care for the carers, so many of them who put others first, whether they be family, friends, or clients; by understanding what carers are dealing with, I will be able to support them even better.
Do you know dementia is terminal? That there is no cure, yet? That we don't know how to prevent it , yet? A foul lottery that no -one wins. The losers lose their minds.
Do you know dementia is terminal? That there is no cure, yet? That we don't know how to prevent it , yet? A foul lottery that no -one wins. The losers lose their minds.
But already I have learnt that what I have already learnt is so much more than most people I meet know!
I cannot help myself engaging everyone I get to talk with about dementia, about removing the stigma, about how it’s NOT a normal part of ageing, but response to underlying pathology in the brain, and how people’s quality of lives can be maximised by attentive care.
My beautiful heart-centred fellow students report informally that in their workplaces they are already able to be more assured, and are able to make better contributions towards diagnosis and care, and they inspire me.
The Uni is running a MOOC on dementia, if you are interested to know more - high tech, whizz-bang insights into the lives of people doing it hard ... in the hardest way.
I wish UNi had been so engaging when I was younger (see my previous post :) )
It seems the stigma of dementia is up there with leprosy; so in the meantime, while I continue studying, I will continue to grow as an advocate, for those who cannot speak for themselves; as I have had my eyes opened, and my mind enriched and stimulated with knowledge, so I am passing on what I see, and what I know, and what I understand.
Hi Wani, I feel very lucky to meet you, such a passionate, intelligent, knowledgeable lady. 'I have never worked in the aged/dementia care field, and I had no knowledge of dementia or experience of aged/dementia care before starting this course; I have, as yet, no clear idea of how I am going to use the knowledge …' this is my situation as well.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the opportunity that allows me to study in University again after 30 years out of it. My biggest challenge is English as it is my second language. I can only handle two units per semester, and try very hard. It was extremely hectic last semester, took a while to get myself orientated in the new learning environment. I am doing CAD002/004 this semester, feel a bit relaxed.
I'm looking forward to meeting you in Hobart, please let me know when you come to visit your son.
Cheers
Fiona
Hi Fiona,
ReplyDeleteYes we are both blessed to be able to do this course, and on scholarship too !
My experience is that opportunities in our lives arise at the perfect time, in the perfect way, and are meant to be joyfully experienced with unreserved enthusiasm!
I would love to meet up with you in Hobart :)
cheers
Wani
Your interest in the subject is very refreshing! Truth be told, a lot of familes are aware of the existence of dementia, although they aren't as educated about the disease as they should be. I'm glad you find comfort in wanting to involve yourself in further research of what can help prevent or cure it. I hope you keep us posted with your findings and thoughts about it. Thanks for sharing that, Wani! All the best to you! :)
ReplyDeleteMichelle Simmons @ Comfort Keepers®
Hi Michelle,
DeleteI just found your comment so please accept my apology for nor replying sooner. Thank you for your positive comment, I I was so surprised and pleased that someone actually read it 😁
Cheers
Wani